Never satisfied with perfection, the Fly Czar has been tweaking his ever-popular Salmonfly pattern, the MFFR, in an attempt to stay ahead of the competition. I was personally allowed to test a few early prototypes and can attest to their effectiveness. While a head-to-head comparison is never easy, I'm sure these tweaks will soon find their way into production. In the meantime, check out the new-improved MFFR and let us know what you think...
The MFFR has been my go to Salmonfly for as long as I can remember, it just plain works, but sometimes I like to change it up a little. So last year I started playing with a couple of ideas. my thought was I needed it to be a little tougher, and could it be more lifelike. My original MFFR is not tough but they are easy and quick to tie, so I don;t mind sacrificing them to trees and bushes, but after a few fish the hackle comes apart. The obvious choice was to add a wire rib, Originally I tied this fly with a wire rib but I wanted more buoyancy so I removed. As for the lifelike, I thought I could add the black egg sack and some rubber legs, and viola the Gen two has arrived.
Hook: TMC 200R size 4
Thread: UNI 6/0 Fiery Orange
Tail: Black Fettuccine Foam
Body: Orange Fettuccine Foam with the top and bottom colored black with a sharpie
Rib: Fine Gold Wire
Hackle: Saddle Hackle palmered up the fly with as many wraps as possible- 15-20 wraps
Wing: Calf tail
Hackle: Brown Neck Hackle with as many wraps as possible