Co-designed by Greg Senyo
Greg Senyo is a prominent steelhead and salmon expert who has designed many leading fly tying materials.
Senyo’s Micro Shank is a smaller, lighter version of the popular Senyo’s Articulated Shank, and is a simple, versatile solution for tying a variety of small, articulated flies such as petite trout wet flies, low-water steelhead flies, sparse streamer designs, and small traditional salmon flies. The wire diameter is small enough to directly attach to hooks as small as size #10.
The ultralight, slim, and strong shank also offers a new option for tying surface flies and brings a high degree of realistic, articulated movement to small fly design.
- Spey fishing for Trout- Swinging flies for trout on one-handed or lightweight two-hander fly rods has been rapidly gaining in popularity, and for good reason – it’s super fun! Sometimes referred to as the “Single-Hand Spey Revolution,” anglers are now adapting proven, traditional spey fishing tactics and fly designs to target trout in ways similar to swinging flies for salmon and steelhead.
- Low-water steelhead fishing- In recent years, anglers targeting steelhead have had to adapt their fly designs to match the increasing low-water conditions in fisheries worldwide. A lighter shank for designing and tying smaller, sparse flies is incredibly useful in these situations.
- European fly designs- Anglers across Europe, particularly in the Nordic countries and the Baltic region, are creating unique and innovative small fly designs to target Atlantic salmon, sea trout, and brown trout. Senyo’s Micro Shank enables the tying of these of these smaller, less bulky patterns.
- Quick and easy to tie- Senyo's Shank is designed to be able to be held straight in any fly tying vise, avoiding the need to tie the fly at strange angles. This allows you to easily attach a free-swinging stinger hook or do a direct hook-to-shank connection using the rear loop.
- Loop-up eye- Keeping with traditional salmon and steelhead flies.
- Thin wire- The Micro Shank uses thinner, lighter wire, enabling articulation of the fly without adding weight, which is a key factor in small, featherweight fly design. This provides your flies with a more realistic action, while maintaining profile and the suspended, slow sink rates ideal for these styles of fishing.
- Small rear loop- Allows you to attach hooks directly onto the shank.
- Stainless steel- For saltwater use.