One Friday night I was at the tying desk working on some variations of a couple of successful patterns for an upcoming fishing trip. I had been tying a pheasant tail variation that had a hot tag tail. I had finished a couple that looked really great and I continued down that rabbit hole and things started to get a little wild.
I took what was a great pattern and starting rooting around the desk to find what else I had that might be interesting. Right away I found some pink beads. So I substituted the pink bead for the gold I had been using. I tied the fly the way I had been. When I got to the thorax I substituted pink dubbing, whip finished the head and had a what the heck moment. Well, what the heck wasn’t really what ran through my mind..... that’s the PG version. To say I was disappointed was an understatement. This thing was ugly! All I could think was it looked like a Frenchie in drag, pink tail, pink boa, and a pink hat...
So I went back to tying my other version.
I shoved all the flies I had tied into my pack including the ugly one.
I had some great success early on in the day with the good-looking ones and I lost a couple of them. I decided to tie on the one in drag. If I thought the others were good, this was way better. But I couldn’t shake the name. I showed the fly to Nick and said I think this thing is called the Drag Queen...
The Drag Queen has quickly become one of our favorite flies and we've had great success with it.
If you interested in tying your own we also have kits available. Click Here